I have been searching off and on for a way to let people know:
- a) Where I might be running when I am traveling, and if I am out in the hills somewhere maybe an idea of where I could be found if I don’t get back within a reasonable time.
- b) During a race where I might be at on the course so people know when I may be at a chosen location.
I tried a number of different ways, none seemed to be what I wanted.. there are programs that let you send the current location via email or SMS, but they did not do what I wanted. Some only have “fences” that can be programmed to let someone know when you get to a certain place, which is nice, but by the time I get to the end it is to late to let the person know.
Finally I came across “Real Time Tracker”, by Greenalp. This does what I have been looking for!
- a) it is free!
- b) it sends constant position updates, directly to a map, not just the link to a map.
- c) it can be put right here on Kazology.
- d) it can send text msg if you want it to.
- e) it is very configurable as to frequency of recording way points, and also when it transmit the data to the server.
- f) it WORKS! which at least one program I tried did not… I had to pull the battery to get it to stop.
- g) it also can do overlays, which I have not done yet, but sounds pretty cool, especially for races. I believe you can add a KML file of a route previously run and recorded, or for some bigger races a downloaded map of the course. Then when the Android is transmitting it shows not only the current location and track taken, but where on the course you actually are at any given time.
- h) it saves the last recorded route until a new one is started. The duration is configurable.
- i) it allows tracking of multiple phones. Maybe 3-5 standard, more as a paid service.
- j) you can create friends to share with, or wide open.
This is particularly useful for runs when I am away from home so people can track if I am running or in a ditch. It can also be used during races to see where I am on the course… or pretending to run while I am sitting in a bar somewhere.
Until Real Time GPS is false,